The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is inviting proposals for public engagement with environmental science which understand, address or mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak.
NERC intends to fund projects costing up to £10,000 each with a total budget of £50,000. Successful projects must be completed by 31 March 2021.
The closing date for proposals is 16:00 Hours (BST) Wednesday 13 May, 2020
Social distancing and the closure of many public institutions present major challenges to engagement, to research and to society. Public engagement with environmental science can respond to these in a positive way.
This funding aims to help researchers to find different and better methods of engagement that they would not otherwise be able to implement. There is a wealth of expertise around digital engagement methods, including citizen science, which could be considered when planning effective, excellent engagement.
Activities in scope (not exhaustive)
- Delivery of new or adaption of current public engagement
- Development of existing digital public engagement assets
- Collaborative projects, including with museums and/or science centres
- Developing partnerships, including with local communities
- Building capacity (such as through networks, training, mentoring, sharing best practice)
- Digital engagement with potential focus on (but is not limited to):
- Citizen science projects
- Use of new and emerging technology, for example virtual reality
- Creation of digital assets
- Innovative use of social media
Out of scope
- Digitisation of pre-existing documents
- One way engagement
- Engagement with international audiences, engagements should focus on the UK public only
- Capacity of researchers is built to deliver new or changed public engagement with environmental science research, which understand, address or mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak, and/or
- Delivery of excellent public engagement with NERC reseach which understands, addresses or mitigates the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak, and/or
- Capacity of researchers is built to deliver digital public engagement with environmental science research
For full details and how to apply visit the NERC website